In the light of the terrible situation in Ukraine, today we are launching a special appeal to help the Ukrainian refugees fleeing from the conflict with Russia. Many of these people are fleeing with just the clothes on their backs or with a couple of small suitcases. They have no means of supporting themselves long-term and in the short term they need food, clothes and places to stay.
Jacob’s Well has long-standing partners in Moldova, a charity called Ora, who are based in the Moldovan capital Chișinău. Moldova is a neighbouring country to Ukraine having a 760 mile long inland border together. The charity Ora have been distributing medical and humanitarian aid throughout the country for over 20 years, and have received much help from Jacob’s Well over this time, including several personal visits from our medical directors. Ora are gearing up to help feed, house and clothe the thousands of Ukrainian refugees who are fleeing into their country.
At the moment, Jacob’s Well is appealing for donations of Money (Not Clothes or Food). Money can be sent quickly and used to buy all the local supplies that are urgently needed. Any donation, large or small is greatly appreciated. We will not take any administration fee from the money we are given, all of which will be sent abroad to directly help the Ukrainian refugees. The money will be given direct to Ora and will be kept in a special designated fund to help the refugees.
We have really seen the miraculous hand of God upon us over the past few days. We have started to receive a lot of donations of money, which is wonderful. Most amazing, a medical manufacturer has now agreed to give us 160 Pallets of brand new silvercell dressings, which are the perfect dressings for a warzone. These are probably worth about £1.6 million at retail value, and would fill 4-5 shipping containers. We have agreed to accept them all, in faith that we will get the money to ship them all out. We probably need £25,000 for this in the next 3-4 weeks. We plan for the first two trucks to leave for Ukraine next week.
Donations can be made through the Jacob’s Well Web-site or through internet banking (put Ukraine in the reference box), at our shops our through our office on Swinemoor Lane, Beverley. Our bank details are Jacobs Well Appeal; Account number 71090704; Sort Code 40 10 12
For more information, please contact our office at the above address
John Beynon’s article about our Ukraine appeal on Great Driffield Radio
Our Beverley shop will close on the 22nd December and re open on the 4th January 2022
Our Bridlington shop, Beverley Office and Beverley Warehouse will close on the 23rd December and re open on the 4th January 2022
Changing the World … One life at a time
Beverley Christian Bookshop and Charity-Plus shop
Jacob’s Well has run a Christian bookshop and charity shop in Beverley for over 30 years. However, a few years ago we changed the concept to a Charity-Plus Shop. More than a normal Christian book shop, a charity shop or coffee bar, our Charity-Plus Shops combine elements from all three to create a community hub where dozens of people with no church connections come into contact with God’s love every day.
Charity-Plus Shops are …
- a place with an atmosphere of God’s presence.
- a place of welcome, where believers can share the love of God with all who come in.
- a friendship centre where people can find welcome, support or a listening ear.
- a community hub, where Christians from the different churches can meet each other and learn about what’s going on.
- a resource centre, where believers from every denomination can find materials to help them grow in their faith.
- a way to engage in changing the world by helping the poor overseas and furthering the development of the third world.
- an interface between the church and the market place – where hundreds of customers will come into contact with the love of God.
- a place where churches work together to provide a light in the market place and a window into the developing world
We now also run Charity-Plus shops in Bridlington and Withernsea
About Jacob’s Well Appeal
Since 1984 Jacob’s Well Appeal has been working in over 30 countries, including Afghanistan, Romania, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Pakistan, Philippines and Kenya. From our offices and large warehouse in Beverley we continue to the change the world one life at a time by supplying
- Medical aid
- Agricultural equipment and projects
- Educational supplies and projects
- Tools and building supplies
- Emergency disaster relief
- Small business start-up schemes
- Sponsoring children in the third world
- Volunteers willing to go abroad and make a difference
Jacob’s Well Charity-Plus Shop Manager (Job Share)
You are responsible for the day to day running and management of Jacob’s Well Charity-Plus shop. This includes;
- Sharing the Christian message and demonstrating the love of God in an appropriate way with members of the public and volunteers who come into the shop.
- Helping customers with their sales and questions. Treating all customers with respect, and fostering a loving, caring community in the shop.
- Recruiting, training and providing leadership to the volunteers regarding the daily tasks that the volunteers will undertake.
- Ensuring that there is an adequate level of stock for all the items that we sell. Ordering new books, cards, craft and other items as required.
- Ensuring that all the second hand items coming into the shop are sorted, priced and displayed attractively
- Running the cafe, and being available to talk and listen to customers who come into the cafe area.
- Overseeing the financial administration, including making sure that all moneys received are correctly recorded and accounted for, paying bills and banking.
- Making customers aware of how they can help in the international aid work and appeals of Jacob’s Well.
- This is a job share. You will work 4 days a week alongside someone who is working 2 days a week.
Skills and character requirements
Jacob’s Well Charity-Plus shop is a centre that is explicitly Christian, which is run in partnership with local churches. It is a requirement that the shop manager is an active Christian believer who is in regular attendance at and in good relationship with a local church. To fulfil this role, we expect you to exhibit the following characteristics;
- A Caring attitude, treating every person as if they are special to God, regardless of their life-style, status, age, health or their personal or religious views.
- Eager and able to share the love of God and the gospel message in an appropriate way with customers. This would include, listening to people, sharing testimonies & other relevant life experiences, explaining the Christian message and praying for people’s needs, including praying for physical healing.
- A heart for Christian unity
- An ability to be flexible.
- An ability to balance the demands of running a business and caring for all the people who come in.
- Be good at listening and talking to people, including answering questions, communicating tasks, sorting out difficulties and working with others.
- Able to multi-task, handle stress and cope with constant interruptions!
- Able to take initiative, work by yourself and manage your own time-table.
- Willing to follow directives from the organisation’s leadership.
- Competent level of I.T. skills including a basic knowledge of Excel, an ability to search and buy items over the internet and to do emails.
- A basic food handling certificate is preferred.
- We would also expect you to behave at all times in a manner that is appropriate for a representative of a Christian charity.
Hours & Salary
You are contracted to work for 24 hours per week, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, from 10 – 4pm. Your rate of pay is £9.50 per hour.
Click here to download the application form
Closing date 4th June 2021, interviews on Wednesday June 9th