Currently we are looking for a new Charity-Plus shop manager in Beverley.
Jacob’s Well Appeal has run a Christian bookshop and charity shop in Beverley for over 30 years. In recent years, we have run the shop as a Charity-Plus Shop. More than a normal Christian book shop, a charity shop or coffee bar, our Charity-Plus Shops combine elements from all three to create a community hub where dozens of people with no church connections come into contact with God’s love every day.
Charity-Plus Shops are …
- a place with an atmosphere of God’s presence.
- a place of welcome, where Christian believers can share the love of God with all who come in.
- a friendship centre where people can find welcome, support or a listening ear.
- a community hub, where Christians from the different churches can meet each other and learn about what’s going on.
- a resource centre, where believers from every denomination can find materials to help them grow in their faith.
- a way to engage in changing the world by helping the poor overseas
- an interface between the church and the market place – where hundreds of customers will come into contact with the love of God.
- a place where churches work together to provide a light in the market place and a window into the developing world.
We now also run Charity-Plus shops in Bridlington with franchise shops in Withernsea and Filey.
About Jacob’s Well Appeal
Since 1984 Jacob’s Well Appeal has been working in over 30 countries, including Afghanistan, Romania, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Pakistan, Philippines and Kenya. From our offices and large warehouse in Beverley we continue to the change the world one life at a time by supplying
- Medical aid
- Agricultural equipment and projects
- Educational supplies and projects
- Tools and building supplies
- Emergency disaster relief
- Small business start-up schemes
- Sponsoring children in the developing world
- Volunteers willing to go abroad and make a difference
Jacob’s Well Appeal Charity-Plus Shop Manager
You would be responsible for the day to day running and management of Jacob’s Well Charity-Plus shop. This includes;
- Sharing the Christian message and demonstrating the love of God in an appropriate way with members of the public and volunteers who come into the shop.
- Helping customers with their sales and questions. Treating all customers with respect, and fostering a loving, caring community in the shop.
- Recruiting, training and providing leadership and support to the volunteers regarding the daily tasks that the volunteers will undertake.
- Ensuring that there is an adequate level of stock for all the items that we sell. Ordering new books, cards, craft and other items as required.
- Ensuring that all the second hand items coming into the shop are sorted, priced and displayed attractively.
- Running the cafe, and being available to talk and listen to customers who come into the cafe area.
- Overseeing the financial administration, including making sure that all moneys received are correctly recorded and accounted for, paying bills and banking.
- Making customers aware of how they can help in the international aid work and appeals of Jacob’s Well Appeal.
Skills and character requirements
Jacob’s Well Charity-Plus shop is a centre that is explicitly Christian, which is run in partnership with local churches. It is a requirement that the shop manager is an active Christian believer who is in regular attendance at and in good relationship with a local church. To fulfil this role, we expect you to exhibit the following characteristics;
- A Caring attitude, treating every person as if they are special to God, regardless of their life-style, status, age, health or their personal or religious views.
- Eager and able to share the love of God and the gospel message in an appropriate way with customers. This would include listening to people, sharing testimonies & other relevant life experiences, explaining the Christian message and praying for people’s needs, including praying for physical healing.
- A heart for Christian unity.
- An ability to be flexible.
- An ability to balance the demands of running a business and caring for all the people who come in.
- Be good at listening and talking to people, including answering questions, communicating tasks, sorting out difficulties and working with others.
- Able to multi-task, handle stress and cope with constant interruptions!
- Able to take initiative, work by yourself and manage your own time-table.
- Willing to follow directives from the organisation’s leadership.
- Competent level of I.T. skills including a basic knowledge of Excel, an ability to search and buy items over the internet and to do emails.
- A basic food handling certificate is preferred.
- We would also expect you to behave at all times in a manner that is appropriate for a representative of a Christian charity.
- The successful candidate will need a DBS check before starting the role.
Hours & Salary
You are contracted to work for 30 hours per week, which will include some Saturdays, from 10 – 4pm. All Jacob’s Well Appeal staff are paid the same rate of pay, based on the Real Living Wage, currently £8.75 per hour.
Please click here to download our application form.
Closing date 16th August 2018